Thursday 24 August 2017

Busy Saturday to come!


The house hunt continues BUT I am very excited because I have a very busy Saturday with viewings at THREE potential places.

I'm having one last kick at the can with the flat in Fordingbridge, if for no other reason than I'm very curious to see why it isn't renting. Is it haunted? Is there a tremendous stink? Can you get any furniture up the stairs? Is it a sauna in the summertime? Is it ridiculously noisy, seeing as it overlooks the High Street? Are the neighbours creepy? Am I going to feel claustrophobic because of low ceilings (it's on the second floor)?

All legitimate questions that I shall seek answers to. I like Fordingbridge, but the flat really isn't affordable for me, so this is most likely a wasted trip for the agent. But there is also the slim potential for renegotiating the rent, so I'm leaving that window open as well (although I've never done it before). Surely any reasonable amount of rent for the landlord is better than losing £550 a month by it sitting empty?

I'm then zipping down to a village called Bransgore, which is tucked into a corner of the Forest just south of Ringwood, to see a room. It's at the back of a bungalow, shared with two other people, and the room has its own private patio out the back! It's a decent size and Bransgore is a quick ~12 min drive to Ringwood, almost 4 miles. It's walking distance to all amenities and I could, depending on the roads, ride my bike to work in good weather.

Rent is £550 per month, including all bills. I'm assuming this also includes council tax, but that's a question I'll have to ask.

I was then going to see a room only a 5-min walk from Ringwood High Street, but I've just today cancelled that visit. I would be claustrophobic and I don't want a repeat of my time in Chertsey, where I more or less jumped at the cheapest room and wound up being entirely miserable the whole time I was there. Rent, inclusive of bills, £400. I'd be able to save/pay down more, but I would not be happy.

And then...AND THEN!!!!!! This little studio flat in Ringwood popped up. 20 mins walk from Ringwood High Street, across the fields from a place called Liberty's Owl Raptor and Reptile Centre, somewhere I was considering volunteering because...owls & raptors! I've got an appointment booked for 2:30. I'd be happy if the current occupant left all her stuff, as it's beautifully laid out, but sadly I'm not confident that'll happen. But it's entirely self-contained and it's just me, so how much space do I really need?

I'm beyond excited about this because I also have the funds to pay the criminal outrageous estate agency fees, deposit & set up fees for utilities. I'll be down to a zero budget every month with no room for luxuries, but it would be so fantastic to be independent again. I've got umpteen books and as long as I have internet, I'm more or less happy. Ringwood has a library and (hopefully) a few options for part-time work if I needed.

I like both the Bransgore room and the Ringwood studio for different reasons. But I have to see them to be able to make a proper decision. I haven't seen the rest of the Bransgore house yet, so can't make any comments. The studio may be exceptionally claustrophobic feeling in its own way. You really can't make a decision based on Internet photos.

So, fingers crossed for me, please! I'll let you know how I get on and what I ultimately decide.

2 comments:

Jane said...

The studio looks REALLY nice! There are really large windows in every room so lots of natural light. The place with your own patio is also very tempting - I have a private patio and it's like an extra room for 6 months a year. Being able to open a door and be outside is so important to me. The studio looks like it has green space around it so that would be inviting for walking etc. I'm excited for you Annie - I'd love to tag along on your hunt!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jane! Well, it didn't take very long.

The room with patio is the winner, hands down. I'm even going to cancel the studio flat viewing!