Thursday 1 March 2018

Snow!

metoffice.co.uk

It's finally happened. We have snow in the south of the UK, an area that generally doesn't see more than a frosting. I'm at home today because I simply didn't feel safe on the roads - and Hampshire Police have issued travel advisories: don't travel unless it's absolutely necessary. Hampshire Police trump my urge/guilt to be at work, even for a short time.


This is what we woke up to this morning. I took this about 7:45 or so.


The back yard this morning.


The back yard about two hours ago. The snow started falling steadily just before noon.


The chicken run. You can see the chickens near the end of the wall on the right - they've been there for two hours! I have a feeling I'm going to have to physically remove them back to their house (at the back of the run) at some point, as the snow is a fair bit deeper now and they are reluctant to be in it at all.


Of course, it's causing havoc on the roads all over the country, but we're not the only ones. Italy, the south of France, parts of Spain - places that normally don't see such a thing as snow, are getting it. The North is under a 'red alert', meaning the cold and the conditions can be deadly. Flights are cancelled, roads are a mess, train service is delayed/cancelled/disrupted, and tomorrow is supposed to be much the same.

Where we are we're actually luckier than most, the Isle of Wight protects us to a degree from the worst of it, but it's still quite a mess out there. I'm not sure whether I get paid for today or not (the director went in and my colleague went in this morning as well, although it was ridiculous to do so, coming all the way from Southampton!) but I'm not particularly bothered either way. I've enjoyed my day off and have managed to get a few bits and pieces done that need doing on a weekday.

6 comments:

its me, sam said...

We're having snow here too, but way more than you. However, since snow is a rarity for you, enjoy every second of it! And I hope the chickens make out ok!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Sam! Well, this is apparently 'unprecedented' weather here - the last time there was anything troublesome was 30 years ago apparently, although 2010 was bad too from what I understand. The chickens seem to be okay although haven't left their house at all today. I made a path through the snow for them just in case, but there were no eggs, so they are obviously not very happy at the moment. It's kind of nice not to have to go anywhere - the village grocery shop is apparently all out of milk and bread, though! Hahahaha! xx

jj said...

I live in Toronto, and I watched the snowfall with fascination.
The UK is not equipped for the snow that came its way, I am glad people did stay home.
The stories of people stuck on highways, or passing away due to the snow are so sad - work isn't worth going out in weather you're unprepared for.

I just put snow tires on my car for the first time in the 3 years I've owned it, it makes a difference!

Jane said...

Oh poor chickens; they don't know what hit them! Hope you can corral them into their house! Best to stay safe - that would be my choice also. Hopefully your pay won't be docked. It shouldn't be if people are being told not to travel except for an emergency - work is NOT an emergency at least from my point of view :)

Northern Living Allowance said...

HI jj - thanks for stopping by! I grew up in Toronto and remember huge amounts of snow. Northern England is more used to this, but the south simply doesn't get it often. There are gritters and (forms of) snowplows, but it came in so fast, so hard and so cold that it took everyone by surprise. Look at all those parts of Europe that haven't had snow in decades! But we survived - hopefully with important lessons learned! x

Hi Jane! Yes, the chickens decided to stay in on Friday. Didn't venture out at all (me neither!). I went out and made sure they had enough food, melted their frozen water and checked they seemed okay - if uncertain what was going on - and that was it. There were no eggs, though, as they weren't THAT happy. Poor girls. But they're fine and came through like champs.

I took a half-day holiday for Thursday morning from work, but I'm fine with that. Better safe than sorry. Back in the Yukon, it wouldn't be an issue, but I can't prepare my car for conditions like that when they only happen once a decade...

Practical Parsimony said...

I live in the South in the US. We don't see a lot of snow, some winters none at all. When I had chickens, I had to carry them around in the snow because they absolutely refused to step in it. At the time, I had to let them live in a cage in the house at night because their pen was not secure. I only had three. I had to bundle up and carry them to their pen in the day when it snowed. I locked them in and had to carry them back to the house at night. I was so frustrated with them and their aversion to snow.